Thursday, August 10, 2006

THIRSTY THURSDAY!

People that frequent bars call today "Thirsty Thursday". However I am not one of them. Some days I suppose I wish I was, but I am such a poor drinker. Three beers and I'm three sheets to the wind.

Jo Beth says she is "So Excited...I'm going to College this next year..YEAH!". She's a senior in High School this year. School starts on August 25th here. I remember when I lived in NJ my whole life, school always started the day after labor day. Here they start so early. Actually its later this year, usually its the beginning of August.
She's thinking college and all I'm thinking is how the hell am I suppose to afford this?? She wants to attend Elon University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, or High Point University. She wants to go Pre-Med. I think we need to do some more research. That's what I think. Tuition and housing fees are through the roof!

Jo Beth has been geared towards college since as far back as I can remember. The twins always thought they would go, but I just don't think they knew what they wanted to do. Lee Ann actually got "to" college for Landscape Architecture, but wound up hating it, and leaving. Then she got married to Jeff, and bought a house. Jeff and Lee Ann were just 19 years old when they bought their house. I was never so proud of them then at that moment. Good for them.

Lindalee couldn't decide what she wanted to do, and before you knew it, she was married to Shaun and having 2 little ones (Cheyenne & Ciera). This is Linda and Shaun a couple of weeks ago. Lindalee has got to the be the greatest help to everyone in the family. Shaun drives OTR for a living, and thats "Over the Road" for those of you that don't know. They are actually a really cute couple. He's really good for Linda, and I'm very proud of them too. :)Now Lee Ann has her first child (Cali). Its funny how life throws curve balls at you.

But Jo Beth has got to go. The child has thought of nothing but going to college ever since she was little. She jumped around a bit about her choice of majors, but settled on wanting to be a "Forensic Pathologist" about 4 years ago. She's talked about nothing but that for some time now. I would hate it if she couldn't go. Her grades are awesome at school, she's got a GPA of about 3.9, but her SAT scores are not very good. I've had her take them twice already and will be signing her up again before September. But to honest, she is just terrible at taking these tests. Even though she is on the National Honor Society, on the Honor Roll etc.

Its going to be quite a trial to get her into college, mostly I'm worried financially, and secondly on whether she'll get accepted to where she wants to go. But we'll see what happens.

As a single Mom for so many years, my greatest fear was not being able to give them, what I never had. All three of my girls got braces out of my own pocket. Not insurance for Orthodontal. Thankfully there was dental insurance, but you know how that goes. I was proud of being able to do that.

I am dissappointed that college is becoming such a burdon for me. Just the thought of it. Maybe as time pans out, and scholarships are filled out, and loans are acquired, and she gets accepted, it won't be making me feel so inadequate. Until that time though I worry. Can't help it.

I'll check back in later all.....see ya.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home